Friday, October 05, 2007

Scattered thoughts on a foggy Friday

When Scooter and I headed off to school Thursday morning, a heavy fog had descended on the city. It felt a bit like the world was empathizing and making my mindset concrete.

My back is not too bad. I am mobile, not even hunched over. It's a dull pain. But constant.

Yesterday, I went home after dropping off Scooter and taking care of an on-campus errand. But my back hurt enough that I could tell I couldn't sit comfortably for studying. So I went to our fitness center and sat in the hot tub for a bit and then had a massage.

Better, but something's still a little out of place.

This morning, there wasn't so much a fog (despite my title), as a haze. And that seemed about right. I had to sit through my three-hour seminar today. I fidgeted like a little kid, uncomfortable however I arranged myself. So I can't say I got much out of it.

I have a chiropractor's appointment tomorrow and am looking forward to just the tiniest of adjustments--seriously, I can tell that things are stuck up and back, probably less than a centimeter.

In the meantime, I bring to you some of the things that have been flashing across my currently dulled mind.

Positive Spin on the Back Pain: As I looked up the chiropractor's number, I realized that the last time I went in for an adjustment was for episode #2 (described on Wednesday). Which means that the last time my back was out of whack (as opposed to just sore) was something like 6 years ago. That may be the longest I've gone without since the initial injury. And again, I'm not even completely laid out.

Cutest Moment of the Day: As we headed home, out of nowhere Scooter proclaimed, "Thanks for keeping us warm, Sun."

Unexpected Warm Fuzzy: Scooter and I arrived at school fairly early; he was the second kid there. The little girl, a real sweetie, greeted him enthusiastically and told him the toys she was helping the teacher get out. Scooter happily returned her overtures and fully engaged in conversation. While Trillian and I have noticed the increased complexity of his sentence structure and his improved oral comprehension, it took seeing him interacting with another kid for me to realize just how much this means.

Feeling Out-of-Sync: I still haven't gotten into this semester's rhythm. I think it has to do with the fact that I've been traveling midweek two out of four weeks we've had class. Plus I only have class once a week--the rest of my time is mine to schedule. I've done a pretty good job of attending to my work, but things always come up. (I typed "back" at first--there's a Freudian slip.)

Off to bed now. Here's hoping that the haze lifts tomorrow--from both the city and my mind.

1 comment:

Aliki2006 said...

I hope your back continues to mend!

Have a great weekend...