Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Global Warming Wednesday: Happy Birthday to Me!

In honor of my recent birthday, I have decided to count something I had already started to do as my action for the month. It's also been the most enjoyable one to date. And like last month's action (less plastic, especially glass for food), it serves the dual purpose of improving my family's health at the same time as the planet's. The action, you ask? Gardening.

More specifically, we've created an indoor area that gets good sun and are growing some vegetables and herbs (in addition to the lettuce in our Aerogarden). Officially, this isn't organic, but most of our seeds were organic seeds from Whole Foods. The potting soil definitely wasn't marked as organic, but we'll be figuring out natural fertilizer. We have also potted all food-producing plants in terra cotta or other non-plastic containers. So we don't have to worry about too many chemicals and can enjoy the most local produce possible.

Next week, I'll look at issues like fertilizer more specifically, but the other way this post honors my birthday is by letting me off the hook of actual research!

5 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Happy birthday!

crazymumma said...

what a great way to honour your special day!

moplans said...

Happy Birthday!
What a great project. I should be doing the same.

Bon said...

because i am a gardening loser, i am fascinated and confused...you can really grow your own lettuce in your house?

i know, it's embarrassing to be me. but i'd like to do this, seriously. i will now go make google my friend and see what i can learn.

tips welcome. ;)

Mouse said...

Lisa B--I think you get a pass for a little bit at least, seeing you've got that whole baby thing to deal with. (Congratulations!)

Bon--our lettuce is growing in an Aerogarden. If you Google that, you'll see how we've got an idiot-proof setup for that. We're waiting to see how well the rest of the plants (actual seeds) turn out.